Tuesday, August 18, 2009

linens and dreams

While they laughed and she slid into the place that seemed to mine all along, I wandered into the bathroom of my childhood, the one from my grandmother’s house, and I cried in front of the mirror as my teeth crumbled and fell from my mouth. While I desperately tried to shove the rotting pieces back into my gums, my teeth turned into crystals. Filling my mouth, I began to vomit shiny, clear gems and the shards made it difficult for me to breath and impossible for me to talk. I woke late that morning and roamed through my house as if I was were lost and I touched every object to make sure I was awake and to remember and absorb its significance. He slept until the early afternoon and when he woke I knew he had to leave and could never return. As I sat next to him, all I could think of was laundry day.

No comments: